Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Low Carb Diet

After hearing people talk about getting "more protein, less carbs" and actually seeing the results first hand...I have decided to attempt this diet and see if I see any results. After talking about it Ann and Kim (my sister) have decided that we would try it out together. Why not? Originally we were supposed to start this past Sunday. But when I woke up Sunday morning I found Hardees breakfast waiting for me. I thought for sure Ed had went and got it. I gave it a second thought and said to myself I can always start Monday. Everyone usually starts on Mondays anyways. At that moment Ed walks in from work and I discover ANN went out and got it. Her response "we will start at noon". OK in the diet world you do not start at noon. So, the rest of the day I enjoyed carbs once more.

We have all 3 done very well so far. I must say the main reason I wanted to go on this was because I thought it might help me cut out my love for chocolate. Today I stopped by mom and dads house and passed chocolate donuts several times while I was in the kitchen. Before I left I had two bites of it. Man was it AMAZING! Of course I thought I would get away with it without any one knowing. Once I arrived back at Brian's house and walked in Brian goes "is that chocolate on your face?"

I was caught! I Swear I only had two bites!

I was so embarrassed

But would probably do it all over again.

I LOVE Chocolate

2 comments:

Greg said...

There was a study in the New England Journal of Medicine this year that made clear that cutting carbs does nothing for dieting. There's a nice, brief summary here:

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/02/26/diets-compare.html

The simple story is that it's about calories in vs calories out. It doesn't matter what kind of calories they are. Complete elimination of carbohydrates (which are an integral part of a balanced diet) usually just ends up with bingeing on other foods without reducing total calorie intake. Increased protein consumption is good for making you feel fuller longer (as published earlier this year by a University of Illinois professor), but does not require--and probably should not--the elimination or even minimization of carbohydrates. A good diet is a lowering of all things in a balanced diet to remain a balanced diet at a lower calorie level. Focussing on low-carb or low-anything throws the diet out of balance.

Just my 2c :).

Jen said...

I think you just put this in b/c it mentions a U of Illinois professor.... :) Not everyone burns as many calories as you, so if cutting back on carbs means cutting back on calories, one can make some progress (as long as you don't binge on other high calorie foods as your article points out). certainly picking a diet low in chocolate donuts and hardees will help- and two bites is better than the whole thing!