Friday, August 17, 2012

Charlie

The last couple weeks Charlie has had some signs of fainting. His front legs almost collapse and he is disoriented for a few seconds. We figured it was probably just heat exhaustion, but when it happened in Kentucky, we thought we better have it checked out.

The vet kept him for most of the day. They did blood work, electrolytes and abdominal x-rays. (note to self: listen to in-laws when they say pets are expensive.) He is border line of having low blood sugar, which would explain his fainting episodes. He will be put back on his prednisone daily. This will hopefully help. His x-rays came back normal, but they did notice he has a small liver for a dog his size. She said it is not a bad thing, but good to know in case any other issues in the future come up. And they will. She let me know that with his monthly shot and daily pill it will drastically shorten his life span. Although we already knew this, it still stings a little having someone actually confirm it.

I now feel he is on hospice. Lots of Peanut butter is in his future. Brian and I are sharing his side of the bed so Charlie can have mine.

I'm sure he has a good 5 years left or
More and I'm being over dramatic, but i need him to live a long, long time! I adore him. Even if he is the most expensive dog!! He is my buddy!!

2 comments:

Kerry @ Our New Normal said...

This makes me cry! Poor Char Char!!

Kelli said...

I have on expensive Boo too. He has hip dysplasia and a pancreatic condition requiring expensive daily meds. At 6 I feel like he is 12 -- it breaks my heart just knowing he won't live to be an old dog :( So we will just keep spoiling him rotten too!