Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Modern day book club


A few months ago an awesome modern day book club was established. 
It is a pretty exclusive club, I like to think. I'm sure many, many women want to be apart of it
(not really..but, maybe?)
Here is what you should know about this club:
1. We are 100% guilty of judging a book by it's cover.
We love bright colors. 
 2.The only book reviews we read come from People Magazine. 
3. We discuss the book for no more then 5 minutes. 
Lets be honest, we have better things to talk about.
4. The day after every meeting, we receive a copy of "the minutes" with all the 
highlighted points of discussion from the night before.
5. The husbands are generally confused by our discussions and, at times, uncomfortable.  
6. Liz did not come to our monthly meeting last night because she had laundry to do. #imean


Here are the list of books we have read thus far. I will include some of "the minutes" from each of the books.

Our first book was Gone Girl.

My review:

I could not put the book down. 
The ending is questionable. And some were a little upset with it.
But, I would still highly recommend it.



No minutes for this book. 
We were new at this point and unaware of the importance of the minutes. 

I have left out all comments regarding the books, all two sentences, in case you 
want to actually read them. I don't want to ruin any endings.


On to the next book, 
Where'd you go, Bernadette?

My review:

First, how cute is this cover?
I liked this book, not love. 
I thought the ending was kind of boring. 
I loved the "mom" of the book.
 I love her style. 
Pretty sure she wore all black and cute scarfs.
Does that not scream, Amanda! 




Minutes: ( I have deleted names for security reasons. ha!)

This particular night we had discussions on boys... hipster, smart, nerdy and creepy ones.

*There’s a dude name ------ that we all think is a creeper, but apparently not the creeper that ---- was referring to. 
They referred to him as having dark haired, mustache and a geologist.
Were they talking about my husband?

 That stache and shirt is pretty creepy. ;)
#imean


*One girls crush is def not a hipster, but still wears mom jeans. 
She’s going to try to work on that, though.  
* Amanda’s husband, Brian, is obsessed with a dude that wears a cheeseburger shirt and always does a rap at the Halloween party. 
* Targetdoesitagain is a “must follow” on instagram. (Can’t remember if we talked about this? Or if I’m just so obsessed with it that it’s always in my brain.) 
*Did Blake Shelton cheat on his ex-wife w/Miranda Lambert? Inquiring minds want to know. 



Next....

One Last Thing Before I Go
By Jonathan Tropper

My review:

I laughed, I cried and I laughed some more.
One girl even cried in public, by herself,  while reading it.
Although, I do not love the cover, I would recommended this book. 
It may be my favorite book, thus far.



Minutes:

* Did you know, back in the day, women wore a belt that had an attached "rag" to it.... and that is where the term "ragging" came from?! Who knew.
* Taylor Swift….what’s gotten into her lately? Is she becoming a mean girl? Hopefully not, because I would like to keep loving her.
* Amanda graduated from high school in 2004!!!!! (basically, like, 2 years ago) The rest of us are OLD.
*None of us actually know Chelsea Handler personally.
*OB tampons are gross.
*Chubbies (men’s short shorts) are coming back! (according to Brian Scott) Sky’s out, Thighs out!
------HE EVEN MODEL THIS PARTICULAR PAIR FOR US-----
God Bless America!

Finally….our next book has been chosen, The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer. 
It’s a coming-of-age story, and since we’re all coming-of-age, we thought we could relate. 
Aannnddd, let’s be real, we really liked the cover. 




I wonder if New York Times would like to hire us to write book reviews?

Until next time....-"A"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seriously jealous. Sounds like fun!